MissionThe mission of the Curriculum and Instruction Department is to provide innovative system-wide leadership, guidance, and support for a unified approach in
- developing and implementing rigorous, relevant curriculum,
- creating instructional resources & materials,
- managing instructional programs, initiatives, and projects,
- facilitating literacy and community engagement by leading school library and media programs,
- communicating and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, and
- developing professional learning that honors teachers and provides content expertise to the District.
ResponsibilitiesDepartment responsibilities include supporting instructional activities that build teachers’ extensive understanding of the content being taught and providing productive, engaging learning experiences and environments. C&I staff maintain a thorough knowledge of students cognitive, social, and psychological developmental processes as well as current research based practices in order to offer meaningful support for curriculum and instruction in Washoe County School District.
FunctionsThe Curriculum and Instruction (C&I) Department, housed at the Bullis Regional Center for Teaching and Learning (RCTL), provides district leadership for a unified approach to the development and implementation of rigorous, relevant curriculum, programs, assessments, and instructional resources that prepare all students to learn to their highest potential.
The Department is responsible for supporting instructional activities that build teachers’ extensive understanding of the content being taught, thorough knowledge of students’ cognitive, social, and psychological developmental processes, and also proficiency in providing productive, engaging learning experiences and environments.
Major functions include curriculum and instructional support to schools and leadership in curriculum planning and development for teachers, parents, and students. The Department supports principals and other school-based and central services staff by providing relevant information and resources to assist in curriculum development and implementation.
The department includes Program Coordinators for the core curriculum areas as well as fine arts, world language, SHARE, library services and instructional materials support. In addition, the department coordinates curriculum with Special Education, GATE, ESL and CTE departments. The department supports subject specific grant writing in conjunction with the grants department to support curriculum and instruction in the schools.
The Curriculum and Instruction Department coordinates WCSD arts events including: music festivals, honor groups, arts festivals, and community arts partnerships and acts as a liaison with community fine arts groups and businesses to develop partnerships. In addition, the Department supervises and evaluates music teachers.
The Curriculum and Instruction Department coordinates K-12 library services meetings, writes grants for library books and technology, provides professional learning opportunities for certified and classified librarians, provides support for the Destiny program, and collaborates with UNR through the Learning Resource Center and the Washoe County Library System.
- WCSD’s strategic plan, Envision WCSD 2020: Investing in Our Future, includes a number of mandates for the Curriculum and Instruction Department. They include:
- Implement Nevada Academic Content Standards which will align curriculum, instruction, and assessments
- Increase college preparedness
- Financial literacy course for all high schools mandated from state legislation (SB 317) and regulations.
- SHARE (Sexual Health and Responsibility Education) NRS 389.065
- Create scalable department web-based support for curriculum, instruction, and assessment tools for teachers.
- Build site leadership through high school department leader, middle school instructional leader, and elementary teacher leader activities and communications.
- Coordinate with WCSD Departments, the Regional Professional Development Program (NWRPDP), Nevada Department of Education, universities, and other stakeholders for a systematic roll-out of the Nevada Academic Content Standards.
- Provide grade-level curriculum guides for schools with a family-friendly version for external dissemination.
- Identify and approve supplemental programs for students based on alignment to standards and current research.
- Direct the purchase of curriculum materials for all schools in the district in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Support the design and delivery of professional development that ensures fidelity of the NVACS.
- Maintain formal links with all central offices and departments to ensure consistent delivery of curriculum and instructional programs.
- Assist with communication to employee organizations, parents, community groups, and institutions of higher education regarding curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Provide support, professional learning and assistance to librarians in WCSD and support the Destiny program.
Regional Center for Teaching and Learning
380 Edison Way
Reno, NV 89502
The Washoe County School District website may contain links that lead to resources, video, etc., which is located on servers that are not maintained or controlled by the District. The District is not responsible for the contents of any such referenced websites or for the availability of access to such websites.