Welcome to the Department of Civil Rights Compliance
Mission StatementThe mission of the Department of Civil Rights Compliance is to ensure that students in the Washoe County School District are educated in a safe and respectful learning environment. The Department of Civil Rights Compliance accomplishes this by putting Board Policies and Administrative Regulations and Procedures in place to ensure that individual civil rights are respected and that no members of our District (students, family, staff) face barriers to providing and participating in a meaningful educational experience.
- Act as a resource for District staff regarding the resolution of civil rights and bullying complaints
- Receive and resolve complaints filed against the District with the United States Office of Civil Rights and the Nevada State Department of Education
- Draft Board Policies and Administrative Regulations and Procedures to provide guidance on compliance with federal and state law
- Create and deliver training on civil rights and bullying compliance topics to District staff
- Receive staff on student bullying complaints for screening and possible assignment to the Office of the General Counsel Administrative Investigations Unit
- Oversee staff on student investigations by the Office of the General Counsel Administrative Investigations Unit
National Bullying Prevention Month
October is National Bullying Prevention Month. Below are some resources to provide educators, parents/guardians and students with information.
- Bullying & Cyber-Bullying Information and Resources
- Nevada Department of Education's Bully Free Zone
- StopBullying.gov - a site managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Youth Truth - Student Survey
Director of Civil Rights ComplianceTitle IX Coordinator, Title VI CoordinatorExecutive AssistantMailing Address:PO Box 30425Reno, NV 89520-3425Phone (775) 348-0330Fax (775) 333-6010
Michael Doering, Executive Director, Student Services
Katherine Loudon, Coordinator, Counseling Services
Lisa Scurry, Coordinator, Policy
Trish Shaffer, Coordinator, Multi-Tiered System of Supports / Social-Emotional Learning
Anthony Spotts, Coordinator, Labor Relations
Rollins Stallworth, Coordinator, Athletics and Activities
Tiffany Young, Coordinator, Equity and Diversity
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web-Accessibility
The District prohibits bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation in any of its educational programs/activities, employment, and employment opportunities. For the District's full Notice of Non-Discrimination statement as well as methods to address questions and concerns please visit our Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web Accessibility page.For more information, visit the Civil Rights Compliance Department page.