About the Smarter Balanced Assessments
Claims are the broad statements of the assessment system‘s learning outcomes, each of which requires evidence that articulates the types of data/observations that will support interpretations of competence towards the achievement of the claims (See > About the Assessments).Targets describe the expectations of what will be assessed by the items and tasks within each claim; assessment targets (evidence) at each grade level represent the prioritized content for summative assessment. Assessment Targets are identified under each claim in the Content Specifications and grade-level Item/Task Specifications documents.The Smarter Balanced Assessments (Development & Design) website link provides detailed information about Test Blueprints, Content and Item/Task Specifications, and Guidelines.
Achievement Level Descriptors (ALDs) describe the knowledge, skills, and processes that are expected of students at different levels of performance on the Smarter Balanced assessments. These descriptors are aligned with the Common Core State standards as well as the Smarter balanced claims (See > Reporting Scores).
- Test Blueprints describe the content of the English language arts/literacy and math assessments and how the content will be assessed.
- Content Specifications were developed to ensure that the assessments will cover the full range of knowledge and skills found in the Common Core State Standards.
- Item and Task Specifications provide guidance on how to translate the Smarter Balanced Content Specifications into actual assessment items; also find rubrics for scoring.
- Scoring Guidelines (under Item and Task Specifications: Guidelines) are provided for ELA Full Writes and selected Short-Text Mathematics Items.
Practice and Training Tests
Online Tools Training (OTT) must be launched using Google Chrome. The OTT provides interactive practice with tools and sample items; matched to the actual test platform.
Smarter Balanced (SBAC) examples of test questions.
- If your browser is open in Google Chrome, click >> Online Tools Training (OTT) & Student Tutorials
- If you need to open Google Chrome first >> 1) Open Google Chrome, 2) copy & paste URL into a browser: https://wbte.drcedirect.com/NV
- Click >> Browse Sample Test Items
RESOURCESMath ResourcesPerformance Tasks Resources
- Presentation to A&S, November 14, 2014 - The Anatomy of SBAC (Math)
- Performance Task Guidelines, Math
- Developing Performance Tasks - YouTube Video, SBAC June 2016