Special Education Family Action Group
Families and district authentically connect in becoming well-informed, effective partners in developing and implementing learning experiences for students with disabilities.
Opportunity for families with students with disabilities to work directly with the superintendent, district leadership team and staff to bring family voice to district-level decision-making.
The WCSD Special Education Family Action Committee will provide the Superintendent, district leadership team and staff with:
- A family voice to help improve educational outcomes and well-being for students with disabilities.
- Help to identify unmet needs.
- Input on the programs, services, and policies
- A structure for shared decision-making and accountability for the district's strategic plan goals targeting special education populations
Criteria/Structure for Membership:
A total of 30 families, 6 from each area (3 ES, 3 MS/HS); Sped FAC members cannot be district employees; intentional recruitment of families within the district who have children with different levels of need, of different ages, in different schools and in different types of programs, including parents of children with disabilities who may have an IEP, adults with disabilities, advocates for children with disabilities, students and former students, racial, ethnic and demographic groups with learning and graduation gaps
Committee Membership Qualifications:
Must be a parent, adult family member or guardian of a Washoe County School District student.
Committee Member Expectations:
- Value and respect the diversity of Washoe County School District
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with committee members
- Actively participate in committee plans and tasks
- Serve on the Special Education Family Action Committee for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year and the 2023-2024 school year
Timeline and Selection:
- The application/Nomination form is open from March 6, 2023, to March 26, 2023.
- The selection committee reviews all applicants and makes recommendations to Superintendent Enfield.
- Superintendent Enfield selects final candidates and the Special Education Department notifies all applicants the week of April 10, 2023.
- Orientations for all new members will be determined.
- 2023 Special Education FAC Meetings:
- Monday, May 15 at 6 p.m. Location to be determined
- Tuesday, June 6 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Location to be determined