Examinations for Credit

  • Washoe County School District - High Schools

    Students needing to recover credit after failing a course, or students interested in challenging a course, may be eligible to take an exam for high school credit. Course options are limited and eligibility requirements must be met. Interested students must meet with their high school counselor to discuss options and request permission to take a Mastery Exam (after failing a course) or Credit by Exam (if challenging a course not previously taken). 

    Credit by Exam (CBE)

    CBE provides an opportunity to earn high school course credit in which no prior formal instruction was completed. CBEs are available in Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, World Languages, Computer Literacy, and Health subject areas. CBE is only offered to students enrolled in a WCSD high school. Each CBE is pass/fail and credit is ungraded.

    Search WCSD Board Policy:

    • Credit by Exam - AP 6311
    • Courses Approved for Credit Through Credit by Exam - AP 6318
    • Permission to Take Credit by Exam (CBE) - AF 6317

    Mastery Exam

    Mastery Exams are available in core subject areas of English, math, science and social studies. Students who have failed a course may take a mastery exam to recover the credit. Each mastery exam must be passed with a grade of A, B, or C to earn credit.

    Search WCSD Board Policy:

    • Recovering Credit Through a Mastery Exam - AP 6406
    • Courses Approved for Credit Through a Mastery Exam - AP 6407
    • Permission to Take a Mastery Exam - AF 6408