•   Frequently Asked Questions 

    Run for Education


    1. Can School Police Officers make arrests and issue criminal citations, are you the “Real Police”?

      1. Yes, School Police Officers are fully certified Category 1 State of Nevada Peace Officers. School Police can arrest or cite both juveniles and adults.

    2. Does School Police have jurisdiction outside of School District Property?

      1. Yes, under certain circumstances. School Police jurisdiction extends to official School District events off property, school busses and stops (during the time the students are there), and while students are directly on their way to and from school.

    3. Is School Police part of the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office?

      1. No, the School Police Department is an independent police department, employed by the Washoe County School District. We collaborate with local law enforcement agencies on cases that cross jurisdictions. We also work with our local law enforcement partners on regional law enforcement concerns.

    4. Can I make an anonymous report?

      1. Yes, you can contact School Secret Witness at 329-6666 or text a tip to:  274637, enter TIP725 and your message

      2. Yes, you can contact SafeVoice via the free app, by calling 1-833-216-7233 or go the the website at www.safevoicenv.org
      3. If your tip is an emergency, dial 911