Regional Gang Unit
Through the combined efforts of the Washoe County School District Police Department, Reno Police Department, Sparks Police Department, Washoe County Sheriff's Officer, and Juvenile Probation and Parole, we can make a difference in the quality of life by providing the necessary skills and information for our youth to say "NO" to gangs and acts of random violence.
The School Police Department is committed to improving the quality of life for our students, and strives to enhance the spirit of cooperation and trust between the community and its police department.Signs of Possible Gang Involvement
- Graffiti on notebooks, walls or other property.
- Tattoos or writing on their skin.
- Use of gang language, such as "homeboy" or "homegirl", "slob", "cuz", etc.
- Use of monikers (nicknames) rather than their given name.
- Use of gestures and hand signs that show gang affiliation.
- Wearing certain clothing associated with gangs that could include the color of clothing, hats, and methods of grooming.
- Admitted gang membership.
- Loitering, riding, or "hanging" with a known gang member.
- Recognition of a combination of these signs, along with a drastic change in behavior may warrant further inquiry.
For additional information on how the Department is combating the "Gangs" in the School District, please contact Sgt. Lorentzen