Critical Needs Hiring
What is Critical Needs Hiring?
When an assignment is designated a "critical need" by the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees, most retirees who are collecting a PERS benefit are eligible to be re-hired and collect a paycheck and benefits without jeopardizing their PERS pension benefit.
Which assignments are designated as Critical Needs for the current school year?
Certified - Special Education, English Language (formerly ESL or ELL), Secondary Math, Music, Guest Teaching (Substitute Teaching)
Classified/ESP - Bus Drivers, Nutrition Services, Special Education Aides and Assistants
If I took ESIP (Early Separation Incentive Plan) when I retired, am I eligible to be rehired on Critical Needs?
Retirees who take an ESIP incentive payment must wait one year from the retirement date in order to become eligible for rehire.
What do I need to do in order to get hired on Critical Needs?
1. Make sure you are currently licensed for the assignment(s) you are interested in teaching
2. Complete or update your certified employment application online
3. Contact Wanda Washington when your application is complete, or if you have any questions
4. Once your application is complete, we will review your application, you will complete a brief district-level interview and then you will be eligible for rehire
5. You will apply for teaching assignments that interest you, schools will interview you, and if you are offered and accept a position, you will come to Human Resources for fingerprinting and orientation, then you can start working
1. Complete or update your classified/ESP employment application online
2. Apply to the assignment(s) you are interested in. You do not need to have experience or training in these areas; we will train you.
3. Hiring managers will contact you for an interview and if you are hired, you will come to Human Resources for fingerprinting and orientation, then you can start training and working
What will I be paid if I come back on Critical Needs?
Certified - Your salary will be determined based on the current salary schedule, incorporating your years of service. Most retirees returning on critical needs make slightly more than what they were earning when they retired.
Classified/ESP - If you previously worked in WCSD in the position you are being re-hired for, you will continue at the hourly rate you were earning when you retired. If not, you will start at the first step of pay for that position.
Will I be eligible for health care benefits if I am hired on Critical Needs?
Yes, if the position you are hired into is a benefitted position, you will be eligible to receive those benefits after the 90-day waiting period.
Questions about PERS?
Call 775-687-4200 to speak with a PERS Counselor in Carson City.
Questions about Critical Needs?
Contact Wanda Washington, Recruiting Projects Coordinator, at 348-0380
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web-Accessibility
The District prohibits bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation in any of its educational programs/activities, employment, and employment opportunities. For the District's full Notice of Non-Discrimination statement as well as methods to address questions and concerns please visit our Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web Accessibility page.For more information, visit the Civil Rights Compliance Department page.