Completion makes eligible for: Claymation, Tronix, Lasers
Prerequisites: K’nex Gears, K’nex Levers, or Grand Prix Racer
1. Investigate symmetry and the role it plays in three dimensional figures.
2. Investigate math history and develop an understanding of how people
use common geometric shapes world-wide.
3. Problem-solve to build three dimensional shapes.
4. Integrate math and art while building geometric structures.
5. Research platonic solids.
INTRODUCTION: Using PowerPoint, create a title and introduction slide. These slides must have the authors first and last name. The objectives must be REWRITTEN IN YOUR OWN WORDS. The presentation must be aesthetically pleasing and grammatically correct.
1. Go to search windows on the bottom left. Open Zomepad Creator
2. Click “Help” From the tool bar. Then Click “Show Help”
3. Read the Edit Commands and Strut Commands section.
4. Then watch This quick intro (including the video)
5. Build a basic design in Zomepad Creator that will be used as the design for your physical 3D model.
1. Read this article: this Launcher
2. What are Platonic Solids?
3. What is a convex, concave, equiangular, equilateral, and a regular polygon? What makes each one unique?
4. What is the history and importance of platonic solids? What makes platonic solids different than other polygons?
Give one example of each of the following and explain:
1. Why are triangles used in construction projects?
2. How are geometric structures important to engineers working for NASA?
3. Where are geometric structures found in nature?
1. Check out a Zome Kit
2. Construct an Archimedean solids discussed in the Extend Yourself section of This Learning Launcher. This List should help as well
21ST CENTURY SKILLS:
1. Choose one of the four C’s and tell us the strengths AND challenges your group faced through this engagement (Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, OR Critical Thinking).
2. What have you learned about yourself or group using the C chosen?
3. What advice, specific to this engagement would you give a group starting this engagement.