Van Shoe Design
Completion makes eligible for:
Prerequisites: Intro to Photoshop, Animation-ish
1. Design 4 pairs of shoes realted to the themes prvided
2. Research Shoe design and award winners
3. Design a series of 4 new VANS shoes
4. Explore making different shoe designs along the way of the project
5. Explore the Design Cycle
6. Present your work in a Professional way
INTRODUCTION: Using PowerPoint, create a title and introduction slide. These slides must have the authors first and last name. The objectives must be REWRITTEN IN YOUR OWN WORDS. The presentation must be aesthetically pleasing and grammatically correct.
1. Go to the “about” section of this This website
2. Rewrite this section in your own words
3. Brainstorm 10 ideas of a shoe designs. Draw a rough sketch of these designs in your Field Notebook
4. Decide from the 10 brainstorms which are your favorite for each category of the theme.
5. Ask your facilitator for the VANS templates.
6. Draw and color your 4 designs.
7. Pick from the 4 which one you think stands out the most.
8. Create the top choice on this site
9. Create a design for each of the 4 shoe templates for a total of 4 pairs of shoe designs
Make sure your shoes illustrate these concepts:
- LOCAL FLAVOR
- OFF THE WALL (extreme sports)
- DEPOALI PRIDE
- YOUR PASSION (Who are YOU? What is important to YOU?)
1. Before you begin your final designs, do research on "past vans custom culture shoe winners.”
2. Tell us what you have found that was interesting in the designs, show us at least 3.
3. Specifically, why do you think those designs were chosen?
4. What design do you think is the most successful and why?
5. How do these design influence your designs or inspire you to edit yours? (they should)
6. Go to this website
7. What is the top 3 most important in your opinion? Why?
1. Explain how you used design thinking.
2. What led you to choose the final designs?
3. How do you think VANS decides what should be sold in stores?
4. What is the design cycle?
1. Make an magazine advertisemnt for your new shoe
2. So in your presentation there should be the 10 brain storms, filtered to the 4 hand drawn themes, filtered to the one advertisement.
21ST CENTURY SKILLS:
1. What did you learn from this engagement about industrial design and shoes?
2. How do you think what you learned can help you in the future, in the STEAM Lab, High School, and Beyond?
3. What specific advice, related to the VANS engagement, would you give a student before they got started on it?
4. Choose one of the four C’s and tell us your strengths AND challenges your group faced through this engagement (Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, OR Critical Thinking).
5. What have you learned about yourself or group using the C chosen?