Depoali Middle School Band Program - Daniel Barthel, Director
UPCOMING EVENTS: see below (full listing of events section) for events that are cancelled for sure so far
STATEMENT ABOUT CANCELLATION OF SPRING TRIPS (Six Flags & Disneyland)
Dear Depoali Music Families (Six Flags & Disney Trips),
Thank you so much for your patience with us while we investigated where we stand financially with the Six Flags and Disneyland trips. Here is what we’ve been able to arrange:
- Six Flags Trip – This trip has been cancelled. We were able to secure a cancellation from Six Flags and All-West Coachlines for all costs. Families will be reimbursed 100% of payments made.
- Disneyland Trip – This trip has been cancelled. We were able to secure a 100% cancellation from all vendors except the hotel. However, the hotel did greatly reduce the non-refundable amount listed in our contract. Families will be reimbursed all payments made minus a $30 non-refundable deposit instead of the original $100. For students who fundraised money, we will apply the fundraised money to the $30 non-refundable hotel deposit.
- Trip Refunds – We will be issuing refunds for over 200 students and chaperones. The refund process will not begin until we return from Spring Break. Please be patient and understand that it will take a minimum of a month after break before all refunds are received.
- Alternate Trip/Event – The Depoali Music Department is considering ideas for a different trip/event to replace the Disney and Six Flags trips. However, considering the massive closures and travel restrictions in the news, we are not making any definite plans or announcements at this time.
We understand this situation is extremely unfortunate and burdensome for everyone. We appreciate your patience and understanding during these strange and difficult circumstances.
Mr. Barthel, Depoali Band Mr. Crowther, Depoali Choir Ms. Karl, Depoali Orchestra
See below for all band events scheduled for this school year! (19-20)
FULL LISTING OF CONCERTS/EVENTS FOR 19-20 SCHOOL YEAR
6th Grade Required Events
- Thursday 5/21/20: Spring Concert, 1:20pm- Depoali Gym
Intermediate/Advanced/Jazz Band Events (all are required unless indicated as optional)
- **CANCELLED** Sat, 4/25: Reno Jazz Festival Field Trip to UNR (8am-5pm) **CANCELLED**
- **CANCELLED** Thurs, 4/30: Chaperone meeting for all Six Flags & Disney Trip chaperones (6:30pm) **CANCELLED**
- **CANCELLED** Sat, 5/2: Intermediate Band Six Flags Trip (6:00am-11:45pm) **CANCELLED**
- **CANCELLED** Tues, 5/5: Disney trip Full Group Meeting & Luggage Drop Off (6:30pm) **CANCELLED**
- **CANCELLED** Wed-Sat, May 6-9: Advanced Band Disney Trip! **CANCELLED**
- Thurs, 5/14: Spring Jazz Band Concert with Damonte (6pm in the Depoali Amphitheater - for Jazz students)
- Wed, 5/20: After School Intermediate Band Rehearsal (1:15-3:30pm)
- Thurs, 5/21: Intermediate & Advanced Band Spring Concerts (5:30 & 6:30pm)
6TH GRADE BAND - Friday Class
Check back when school is back in session.
Depoali Mattress Fundraiser **CANCELLED**
-Sat, April 11. 10am-5pm in the Depoali Cafeteria
Damonte Ranch HS Band: Wind Ensemble Auditions
- This is optional for students who will be in the Damonte Ranch HS Band next year
- Use this link to download materials
- Auditions are scheduled to be held on April 21st (either at Damonte after school or Mr. Barthel can also record your audition at Depoali that day). This date is subject to change according to COVID-19 updates sent out by the district.
SUMMER MUSIC CAMPS:
-LAKE TAHOE MUSIC CAMP: June 28- July 4 (South Lake Tahoe) https://www.unr.edu/ltmc (Mr. B and Mrs. B run this one!). Check out this webpage for info about scholarship opportunities for camp!
-RENO POPS MUSIC CAMPS: Dates TBA
-CAZADERO MUSIC CAMP: Various Dates in June/July. Near the Bay Area http://www.cazadero.org/index.php
-DONNER MINE MUSIC CAMP: (in Nevada City area) July 13-18 http://www.dmmc.org/index.html
BAND ABSENCE MAKE-UP WORK POLICY
If a student misses class they must make up the missed playing time by coming in at lunch or after school to practice or by practicing at home and video recording and then sending a link to the video upload to Mr. B (ex: private YouTube link). Students will practice their practice assignment as that is what we work on in class as well. The time required will be 20 minutes for missing a regular day or 40 minutes for a block day. Students have the amount of days absent plus one to complete the make-up work and have the absence cleared (per WCSD policy).
CHECK YOUR INFINITE CAMPUS MESSAGE SETTINGS
*Make sure your Infinite Campus settings allow teacher messages to go straight to your email. Mr. B uses this often for communication (as do many other teachers). Click here for instructions about how to make sure you have this setting enabled.