Completion makes eligible for: Level 3 Engagements
Prerequisites: 2 Semesters of STEAM experience and completion of orientation 2
1. Design and construct a School to base your 3D Sketchup design on.
2. Calculate the cost of the “School”.
3. Communicate your findings in a useful and concise way.
INTRODUCTION: Your presentation must be a formal proposal, that asks the county to pay for your build. Your audience is the county planning commission.
1. You were contracted to build a school for Washoe County.
2. The School must hold 1,100 Students.
3. There must be a student to teacher ratio must be 29:1
4. There must a gym, cafeteria, common spaces, computer labs, front office, teacher work rooms, an art room, two other exploratories and storage
5. Using SketchUp design your schools
1. Go to this site
2. Choose two school designs
3. Research the reasons why the architect chose their design. Explain in your own words how and why the design is significant?
1. What do you think the considerations were that went in to deciding where to place of each classroom, gym, cafeteria, common spaces, computer labs, front office, teacher work rooms, an art room, two other exploratories and storage?
2. How and why does each school look different? Why do you think society doesn’t make a “perfect” school layout and simply repeat it over and over again?
1. After completing EXPLORE, you can submit your building for review.
2. Upon Review you are given the budget of $14 million.
3. One square foot of building space costs $163 for engineering, permits, and construction in the school.
4. Redesign your school to be in budget.
21ST CENTURY SKILLS:
1. Choose one of the four C’s and tell us the strengths AND challenges your group faced through this engagement (Collaboration, Communication, Creativity, OR Critical Thinking).
2. What have you learned about yourself or group using the C chosen?
3. What advice, specific to this engagement would you give a group starting this engagement?