As an unaccompanied minor, you may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act through the Washoe County School District program, Children in Transition (CIT), if you are not living with a parent or legal guardian and are living in one or more of the following housing situations: 

    • In a shelter
    • In a hotel/motel
    • In a car, park, abandoned building, or somewhere else not typically designed for living
    • Temporarily staying with friends, family members, or others, due to loss of housing and/or financial hardship

    Next Steps if you believe you qualify for services as a CIT unaccompanied youth:

    1. Contact the CIT office at 775-353-6938
    2. If already enrolled in school, please contact your school counselor to access resources.  



    Crisis Support Services of Nevada: Call or text 988 if someone you know is struggling and needs help.

    Mobile Crisis Response Team: Call 775-688-1670

    Suicide Prevention Hotline: Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

    SafeVoice: Call 1-833-216-7233

    Safe Place: Call 1-800-536-4588 for help finding a safe place to go.

    Safe Talk for Teens: Call 775-823-2700 to schedule an appointment.

    Eddy House: 24-hour center, a community living program for homeless young people 18+, and a drop-in center.

    888 Willow Street, Reno, NV 89502


    NV Youth Empowerment Project: Sober, safe, supportive housing, as well as skills training for young girls 18-24. Link to apply- https://nyep.org

    1369 Faland Way, Reno, NV 89503


    Project 150: Free clothing for teens with student ID.  Appointment sign-up link- https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignup/70a048aaf22a3fb6-project

    1340 Foster Drive, Reno NV. 89509