It is a great feeling to help a child and our community! With the intention to help our students and our community youtoo can make a difference! Volunteer Services recruits volunteers for 103 schools and 21 departments/programs through online sources, free media, and community engagement to provide academic support such as tutoring, and classroom aides, staff and family support. For the past 17 years, under the leadership of Lisa-Marie Lightfoot, Volunteer Services has been coordinating community resources and supporting staff as they enrich the educational experience of all Washoe County School District students.It is calculated that Volunteer Services in 2017-2018 provided/facilitated through community non-parent volunteer resources $6,736,932 in volunteer labor. This volunteer support helps academically by providing tutors to help teachers help struggling students and also reflects volunteer support given to help schools, departments and programs with staff shortages and other district needs.
The Volunteer Services Department:
- Has three full-time employees, an administrator, a program manager and a secretary. All other work is performed by No-Cost Workers (help that is brought in through local, state and federal work programs) and community volunteers.
- Has over 10 different programs that bring in volunteers and No-Cost Workers to the Washoe County School District who provide labor and support to schools, departments and various programs within the Washoe County School District. A few of our programs you might recognize are: State Welfare Community Work Experience Program, Community Service Agency Clerical Assistance Team, The American Association of Retired Person’s Senior Community Service Employment Program, College Student Worker Programs, University of Nevada, Reno Regents Grant (providing student tutors to our schools), Truckee Meadows Regents Grant, UNR Student Engagement, UNR Service Learning, non-teacher student Interns, and the District’s Light-Duty Program.
- Provides a District Light-Duty program offering safe, friendly productive work for injured employees while they are healing and cannot do their regular jobs. This program is serving 40 employees a year and saves Workers Compensation funding for the District.
- Screens and places over 1,100 higher education practicum students each semester.
- Provides through a grant from Schwab Bank a part-time Financial Wellness Navigator to support the State Treasurer’s Kick-Start College Fund for Kindergarteners and other Financial Wellness programs at WCSD.
- Provides volunteer application screening of all community volunteers and stores electronically for all District volunteers or 12-15 thousand Washoe County School District Volunteer Applications each school year.
- Provides a WCSD Center for Teaching and Learning community individual, group and school site parent Pre-K through Elementary Reading, Writing and Math approved volunteer trainings. Trainings facilitators are retired teachers and are held at school sites, community locations and the Volunteer Services Department as requested.
- Screens and supports all non-profits, businesses and organizations that provide volunteers to Washoe County School District. Some you may recognize are: The Foster-Grandparents Program, 360 Blueprint Mentor Program, Junior Achievement, Goldilocks, PAWS Program, Reno Rodeo Round-Up, Northern Nevada Math Club, Reno Rotary Career Coaching, Arts for All Nevada, United Way RG3 and more. Last year there are 125 volunteers or free programs at WCSD.
- Hosts the Volunteer Services Community Advisory Board comprised of influential community members with a strong belief in volunteerism.
- Recognizes District volunteers through the monthly Exceptional Volunteer Award Program and other local, state and national awards as available.October 2018
- For questions or more information, please contact Lisa-Marie Lightfoot, 775-348-0388 or email@example.com
Washoe County School District Volunteer Services Center(Not the fingerprinting office)
494 Poplar St. Reno NV 89512Mailing Address: 425 East Ninth Street Reno, NV 89512
Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm
except weekends and holidays
Phone: (775) 348-0346Fax: (775) 851-5669