Welcome to In-service
In-service DivisionProfessional Growth Systems425 East 9th Street, Bldg B-105
Reno, NV 89512
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader software to download, view, and print the Adobe files.
General Information about In-Service Credit
Who Can Receive Credit?
- WCSD individuals certified by the State of Nevada who are currently under contract and actively teaching in the Washoe County School District;
- Certified employees from neighboring school districts; and
- Current WCSD substitutes
How is In-Service Credit Used?
- For WCSD employees, in-service credit may be applied toward advancement on the salary schedule as specified in the Negotiated Agreement with the Washoe County Teachers Association. For salary purposes, in-service credit shall apply as either undergraduate credit or graduate credit. It is the participant's responsibility to ensure that all in-service credits have been properly applied to their pay card.
- In-service credits taken through the Washoe County School District, where registration occurs in MyPGS and the State Course Number contains W, WA, or WCSD, are electronically downloaded to Human Resources to be applied to the pay card upon completion of the course.
- Additionally, professional learning hours associated with in-service credit may be used to renew Nevada teacher/administrator licenses when specific graduate course work is not required. In-service classes with a W, WA, WCSD, or SDE- in the numbers have been approved by the State Department of Education and are acceptable for recertification.
How Is the Amount of In-Service Credit Determined for Each Course?
- Only non-contract time spent in professional learning may count for in-service credit. Contract time includes lunch and prep periods, and any paid leave time, including personal and sick days.
- Each half credit represents 7.5 hours. (15 hours = 1.0 credit; 30 hours = 2 credits; etc.)
- Lunches and breaks do not count as qualifying time for in-service credit.
- In-service credit cannot be earned if a stipend is paid.
How do the New DOE Guidelines affect In-Service Credit and Recertification Hours?
- With the new Nevada Department of Education changes for recertification (effective July 1, 2019), some in-service courses can now offer partial in-service credit/hours when a participant misses a portion of the course, instead of listing a participant as “Incomplete” in MyPGS with no compensation at all. Courses held outside of contract time that fall into this category include:
- Site-Based Group Meetings (i.e. MTSS, IAT, Leadership Team, Book Study)
- District Meetings (i.e. Department Leader, Instructional Leader, Music)
- These courses will offer variable credit based on hours of attendance. In the case where a participant attends less than 7.5 hours of the course, the participant will still receive professional learning hours for recertification.
- Courses containing a set curriculum, scope and sequence that is identical for each section held, will not be allowed for partial in-service credit. Participants will still be required to make up the missing content before in-service credit is awarded.
- Registrants are required to enroll in the in-service classes online. To enroll in an in-service class, go to https://washoe.truenorthlogic.com. For assistance with web registration, contact Professional Learning Support or call 348-0329.
- In-service credit will only be issued upon completion of the in-service class. Credits will be issued as soon as possible; however, allow one to three months for processing.
- Participants may receive credit only once for a course, unless the course has a different number.
Nevada Department of Education
All inquiries concerning individual licensing should be directed to the Nevada Department of Education. The In-service Division does not assist personnel with extension applications. It is the participant's responsibility to upload the in-service certificate of credit or MyPGS Transcript into OPAL when renewing a license.
The In-service Division no longer issues physical certificates of credit. All in-service credits taken through the Washoe County School District, where registration occurs in MyPGS, will appear on the MyPGS transcript once the course is complete, and all course requirements have been met. The MyPGS Transcript can be uploaded into OPAL as documentation of professional learning for recertification purposes with the Nevada Department of Education. The transcript must be uploaded in PDF form. Click the Print button on the transcript and then save it as a PDF.
One Year Limit to Review Web Transcript
In order to maintain accurate and up-to-date records, participants have ONE YEAR from the completion date of each class to review web transcripts for accuracy. If the web transcript appears to have a discrepancy, please email Ellen Thomas.
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web-Accessibility
The District prohibits bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation in any of its educational programs/activities, employment, and employment opportunities. For the District's full Notice of Non-Discrimination statement as well as methods to address questions and concerns please visit our Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web Accessibility page.For more information, visit the Civil Rights Compliance Department page.
El Distrito prohíbe la intimidación, la intimidación cibernética, el acoso, el acoso sexual, la discriminación y / o las represalias en cualquiera de sus programas / actividades educativas, empleo y oportunidades de empleo. Para obtener la declaración completa del Aviso de No Discriminación del Distrito, así como los métodos para abordar preguntas e inquietudes, visite nuestra página de Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web Accessibility
Para más información visite Civil Rights Compliance Department page.