- Classes that run for a continuous 8 hours (e.g. 8-4) are required to provide a meal period of at least 30 minutes.
- Lunches and breaks do not count as qualifying time for in-service credit.
How Is the Amount of In-Service Credit Determined for Each Course?
- Only non-contract hours spent in professional learning may count for in-service credit.
- Each half credit represents 7.5 hours. (15 hours = 1.0 credit; 30 hours = 2 credits; etc.)
- In-service credit cannot be earned if a stipend is paid.
How do the New DOE Guidelines affect In-Service Credit and Recertification Hours?
- With the new Nevada Department of Education changes for recertification (effective July 1, 2019), some in-service courses can now offer partial in-service credit/hours when a participant misses a portion of the course, instead of listing a participant as “Incomplete” in MyPGS with no compensation at all. Courses held outside of contract time that fall into this category include:
- Site-Based Group Meetings (i.e. MTSS, IAT, Leadership Team, Book Study)
- District Meetings (i.e. Department Leader, Instructional Leader, Music)
- These courses will offer variable credit based on hours of attendance. In the case where a participant attends less than 7.5 hours of the course, that participant will still be able to use the hours attended for recertification.
- Courses containing a set curriculum, scope and sequence that is identical for each section held, will not be allowed for partial in-service credit. Participants will still be required to make up the missing content before in-service credit is awarded.
- Class participants must sign the attendance sheet at each session.
- The instructor should note on the attendance sheet when a participant arrives late or leaves early.
- The instructor must verify that all signatures are obtained and sign the attendance sheet.
The following activities DO NOT count as qualifying time:
- Breaks or meals
- Time devoted to independent reading
- Time spent completing an “assignment”
- Individual, unmonitored reflection time
- Any contracted time (Credits may NOT be issued during regular contract time and creditsmay not be issued if participants receive a stipend)