CPR & AED Program
The WCSD CPR & AED Program is an American Heart Association (AHA) training site operated by Student Health Services. The program offers a variety of CPR, AED and first aid certification courses for all current District employees.
When an emergency arises, being able to perform CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) and use an AED (automated external defibrillator) quickly can save a life.
- AHA Heartsaver CPR and AED for adults and children is the standard class. If you are required to take CPR, this likely the class you need.
- Infant CPR is offered at no additional cost to anyone taking a regular CPR and AED class. Infant CPR is offered by appointment, so contact us to schedule a time in advance.
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid and Pediatric First Aid are required for several groups of employees but are also available over breaks for any employee who would like to take the class.
- First aid is different than CPR in that it covers emergency care for a number of common injuries and illnesses other than cardiac arrest.
- AHA course intended for healthcare providers. Nurses are required to take BLS. If you are required to take CPR for your position in the district, but also require BLS certification for other reasons, such as ski patrol or EMS service, please contact us to ask about enrolling in our BLS courses.
The CPR & AED Program also offers on-site Code Blue team training, demonstrations, and skills practice sessions.
Register online using MyPGS. All class sizes are limited, so pre-registration is required.
- Login credentials are the same as your District login and password.
- Coaches and others without a District email address may apply for a guest account by following the directions on the right side of the MyPGS login page. If you need CPR for your position, indicate this in your request to expedite processing.
Please contact us before registering for class if you anticipate any difficulty fully participating in class, particularly in these situations:
- If you have physical conditions that might prevent you from practicing CPR on the floor repeatedly during in the course, or
- If you have experienced a traumatic event related to a medical emergency, such as providing CPR for a loved one.
Preparation - Supplies, Fees and Location
You will be practicing skills that require working on your hands and knees on the floor, bending and standing.
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing. Layers will help keep you comfortable as the room temperature can vary.
- Be ready to tie back long hair as it may prevent you from effectively delivering breaths during practice.
- Courses are offered at a reduced cost of $25 to any current District employee. If you are required to maintain certification for your position (see FAQ below), the course fee has been paid for you.
- Fees should be paid at the beginning of class with cash or check (payable to WCSD Student Health Services). We are not able to accept credit or debit cards.
- Participant manuals are available for use in class, to borrow before/after class, or to purchase for $3 each.
- First Aid is offered during school breaks for $25.
- Most of our classes take place in a training room at Student Health Services. Additional directions are listed below.
- For safety and security reasons, children or other family members of WCSD employees are NOT permitted to stay in the Student Health Services building or the surrounding premises while employees attend training.
- CPR and AED classes are regularly taught at schools and facilities throughout the District. The location will be listed in the title of the course in MyPGS. If you are interested in having a class offered at your school or administrative facility, please email to ask for additional information.
Attendance and Cancellation
We look forward to seeing in class. Because it is costly to offer these classes and we work diligently to use funds effectively, we ask for your help and understanding with the following requirements.
- Plan to be on time and stay for the full time scheduled for class. Late arrivals will be asked to reschedule for a different class.
- If you cannot attend a class, please cancel 24 hours in advance or as soon as possible. It is costly when registered participants do not attend class, particularly when others may be waiting to attend. Illnesses and emergencies happen; please just let us know by email as soon as possible.
- If you register and do not attend three (3) classes, you will be asked to pay for the class or take it with a different provider.
- Classes with fewer than four (4) participants will be canceled.
- In the event of weather that may make travel unsafe, classes may be canceled.
- If your class is canceled, you will receive an email sent to the email you used to enroll. If you have reason to believe your class may be canceled, please check your email before coming to class.
Map & Directions
Student Health Services is on the west side of 12th Street between Oddie Blvd and Prater Way in Sparks. The building is a brick house on the west side of 12th Street, immediately south of the Sparks High School baseball fields. Signage is best when approaching from Oddie Blvd.
Parking is available on the west side of the house. Enter using the basement entrance on the north side of the building.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you have not yet activated your eCard, check your email account for a message from email@example.com and follow the directions within. If you have already activated/claimed your eCard, you can retrieve your card online.
Some WCSD employees are required to maintain CPR and AED certification. These positions include the following:
- Special Education teachers and assistants/aides (including those in Hearing and Visually Impaired programs)
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Physical Education teachers, athletic trainers, and coaches
- Transportation, Truancy, and Re-Engagement staff
- Infant/Toddler program teachers and aides
- School Police officers
- Clinical Aides, Personal Care Providers
- Student Health Services nurses
- Code Blue team members (as listed by school/department administration)
If you are required to maintain CPR certification in the District, you need American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) adult and child CPR and AED certification. Certifications from other certifying entities cannot be accepted.
Email us. We are happy to help you get into a class as soon as possible.
Class sizes are limited by the American Heart Association to ensure instructors can adequately guide and monitor students.
If "registration is disabled", the class is likely reserved for a certain group of employees. You are always welcome to inquire about whether room is available in a class.
If you work in a classroom with students, you may only attend classes outside of school hours. Substitutes cannot be provided and you may not be excused from work to attend these classes. Classes are offered after school, on weekend, and over school breaks. If you have difficulty finding a class time that works for you, please email to ask about alternate class offerings.
Classes are available for registration 6-8 weeks before scheduled to take place. If you would like to register earlier, kindly ask by email. We are happy to help.