Welcome to the Department of English Language Development!
The mission of the Washoe County School District Department of English Language Development is to ensure rigorous, explicit, high-quality language instruction to pupils who are learners of English while maintaining and encouraging strong connections to home language and culture.
It is our vision that English learners understand, speak, read, and write English fluently and competently in order to succeed academically and socially in their classrooms, schools, and community, as well as acquire the linguistic and cultural knowledge to function as effective global citizens.
- All EL students are the central core of our work and support in schools.
- All EL courses of instruction are designed to enable and empower English language learners to attain proficiency in the English language and improve their overall academic and linguistic achievement and proficiency.
- All EL instruction is based on culturally competent practice and effective strategies to close achievement gaps.
- All EL students can learn.
- All EL students are involved and supported in rigorous explicit language instruction and are provided with opportunities to gain access to all content.
- All EL students are entitled to an equitable education that implements quality programs aligned to standards.
- All EL students are held to high expectations for learning that is designed around differentiated student language needs and social emotional needs.
- All decisions made about students are based on language data, in addition to content data. Culture, families, and individual linguistic needs become part of the decision making process.
- All EL students’ academic success is a shared responsibility of all educators, families, and the community.
- All EL students and families are provided with consistency in translations and interpretations to bridge for understanding.
- All collaboration as a team is accomplished through mutual respect across the district.
Joy for the Holidays
Help support some of our refugee families this holiday season!
How: Donate any amount towards Marketon gift cards (collected by Keiry Segura).
Why: Gift cards will provide some of our refugee families the opportunity to purchase fresh produce for their holiday meal.
Deadline: December 17th.
*For more information contact Keiry Segura, Family Liaison at the Department of ELD at ksegura@washoeschools, 775-333-7567 and/or Claudia Amaya, Social Worker at 775-285-9848.
There are no upcoming events to display.
Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web-Accessibility
The District prohibits bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation in any of its educational programs/activities, employment, and employment opportunities. For the District's full Notice of Non-Discrimination statement as well as methods to address questions and concerns please visit our Notice of Non-Discrimination and Web Accessibility page.For more information, visit the Civil Rights Compliance Department page.