Parent and Family Engagement
Title I recognizes the vital role that parents, guardians, and the community play in the education of their children. Research shows that students with involved parents are more likely to succeed in school. The Title I office has developed a comprehensive parent and family engagement program.
Parental and Family Engagement is a key to academic achievement and both the state and the Washoe County School district have developed family engagement policies. Title I uses its parent and family engagement funding to assist and support all of our 51 Title I sites in the following areas.
- Parent-School Partnerships- Title I personnel provide coordination, technical assistance and other support to assist Title I schools in developing effective parent-school partnerships to support children's education at home.
- Parent and Family Engagement Policy- Title I personnel assist Title I schools in developing a written parent and family engagement policy stating how the school will partner with parents to build parents' capacity to be engaged in school.
- Parent-School Accords- Title I personnel assist in ensuring there is a written commitment each year indicating how all members of the school community agree to share responsibility for student achievement.
- Annual Title I Meeting for Parents- Title I personnel assist Title I sites in hosting a meeting for parents to explain the Title I program, the policies and requirements, and how Title I students will be assessed. Parents have a right to be involved in the Title I program, which is explained at the meeting along with suggestions as to how they can be involved.
- Parents' Right to Know- Title I personnel assist in sending out and posting the parents’ rights to know the qualifications of their children’s teacher.
- Title I Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Liaisons - Title I personnel assist, support, and train these staff members at each school site to offer family/parent workshops to promote home-school partnerships and to honor the parents' role as a child's first and most important teacher.
- Parent and Family Engagement Vision- Title I personnel will work with site administration to ensure parent and family engagement is aligned to academic learning through the alignment of the School Performance plan and parent/family engagement policy.