Welcome to the Feroah Center For College & Career Exploration
RHS Class of 2022! Scholarship opportunites for RHS Seniors are now open! Apply NOW: RHS Scholarships
External Scholarships also available! Find details here: External Scholarship Opportunties
What Should College Bound Seniors be Doing?
- Letters of recommendation requests: Many (not all) colleges require a recommendation letter from your counselor and 1-2 teachers. Identify which teacher/teachers (ideally from your junior or senior year) know you the best, have taught you in a core subject, and can speak to how you show up in the classroom. Ask what they need from you to write an effective letter. And, GIVE THEM A MINIMUM OF 2-3 WEEKS! Respect their time.
- Request your counselor recommendation online for Common Application schools NOW! Your counselor will upload your transcript for COMMON APPLICATION schools only!!
- Official transcriptsfor all other schools to be ordered at https://washoeschoolsnv.scriborder.com/
- Apply! Applications are open. Don’t procrastinate.
- How will you be paying for college? Have those critical conversations now. Fill out the NET PRICE CALCULATORS for the schools that you are applying to. They give you an estimate of your family’s EFC (what it is going to cost you to go there).
- FAFSA: Application now open! Financial aid information, click here: Financial Aid
- Get good grades!Your grades matter for scholarships, college entrance and work readiness.
- Planning on playing a sport in college? Make sure to register with the NCCA Eligibility Center: https://web3.ncaa.org/ecwr3
- Try to submit applications as least one week before the due date. Online servers can get overloaded and stop working properly when everyone submits them on the last day. In addition, remember to account for delivery time if mailing an application.
- DEADLINES!!!!! The majority of free money is first-come, first served. September through January is a great time to seek funds and determine what is due when.
- NEVER NEVER pay to submit a scholarship application.
- Always spell check and proof-read applications.
- Make sure you have submitted everything requested and answered all the questions.
- Don't submit anything that isn't asked for, and stay under the required word count.
- Photocopy everything before you submit it, in case your application gets lost and needs to be re-submitted.
- Professionalize your online presence, remove potentially embarrassing content from social media. Use an appropriate email address
TMCC Admissions Questions? Please contact our TMCC/Reno HS Recruiter Jennifer Zarco, 775-258-2556 text only with any questionsUNR Admissions Do you have specific questions about your application or the admissions process? Text Quentin Owens at 775-204-3505 to set-up a phone appt or Zoom appt
Want to take a tour of the UNR campus? Sign up for Nevada Bound Visit!!
- A welcome from the Director of Admissions
- Presentation from the Office of Admissions and Records
- Presentation from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Live student discussion panels
- Virtual campus and housing tours
- Student Services virtual information fair
Sign-up at https://www.unr.edu/visit
Interested in joining the Military? You need your high school diploma to join the military! Research military options thoroughly and contact local recruiters (see websites and phone numbers below). Consider taking the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery).
Army: www.army.mil; www.goarmy.com; 829-2769
Marines: www.usmc.mil; www.marines.com; 829-8911
Navy: www.navy.mil; www.navy.com; 331-1126 Air Force: www.af.mil; www.airforce.com; 829-2807
Air National Guard www.ang.af.mil ; 788-4500 Coast Guard: www.uscg.mil; www.gocoastguard.com
Military Careers online: www.todaysmilitary.com