There are many changes coming to the FAFSA for the 2024-2025 aid year.
Call 800-433-3243 To Speak With A Representative with any questions or concerns
What is the FAFSA?
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the form you need to fill out to get any financial aid from the federal government to help pay for college. Each year, over 13 million students who file the FAFSA get more than $120 billion in grants, work-study, and low-interest loans from the U.S. Department of Education.
Lots of states and colleges also use the FAFSA to determine which students get financial aid—and how much they’ll get.
The FAFSA asks for information about you and your family’s finances, including tax returns, so you’ll need your parents’ help to complete it.
- Submitting the FAFSA is the most important thing you can do if you want financial aid.
- FAFSA is FREE - you do not need to pay anyone to prepare it for you.
- You need to submit a new FAFSA before each academic year in which you want to get aid. If you plan to apply for aid throughout college, you'll need to fillout the FAFSA each year.
- Be sure to use a permanent email address on the form, not your high school email, so you can use your FAFSA account throughout college. Be sure to remember your username /password. This will not change.
Who should fill out the FAFSA?
- Anyone planning on going to college in the next academic year.
- Your family does not have to have a low income to qualify for assistance. Even if your family makes $200,000 a year, you may still qualify.
- You will automatically qualify for a low-interest federal loan when you submit a FAFSA. These loans are less expensive to pay back than many private student loans.
- Some work-study programs require FAFSA.
- Some merit-based scholarships require the student to complete FAFSA to help them determine scholarship amounts.
Important information about filling out FAFSA
- You will need to create a federal student aid ID (FSA ID). You will use this ID to sign the electronic form.
- Create a federal ID for each parent FSA ID https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- You can fill out the application either online or through the app.
When to Submit Your FAFSA: Understanding the Deadlines
- You can file as early as December for the following academic year. You should submit the application ASAP because financial aid is often given out on a first-come, first-served basis.
- College deadlines:when you are applying for aid from a college, deadlines vary by schools, so check college websites or contact the specific college financial aid offices.
- State deadlines: when you are applying for aid from your state, check your state's FAFSA deadline.
- Federal Deadline: June 30th is the last day you can apply for federal aid for the following academic year.
- Remember: Send in your FAFSA as soon as you can, regardless of deadlines, apply early.
Quick Link: https://stodentaid.gov
Please visit the TMCC and UNR Financial Aid webpages for more important FAFSA information! If you are still needing help, you can schedule a meeting and they will walk you through the steps either in person or Zoom. They are happy to help families who need help navigating this process, so do not hesitate to reach out! These services are FREE and your student DOES NOT have to apply to these schools in order to use these services.