Local / Nevada Scholarships
GO LOCAL FIRST when searching for scholarships. The applicant pool tends to be smaller and your likelihood of receiving a scholarship is increased.
Local Scholarships (click on link for eligibility and more information):
- Alpha Nu Nu Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity - Any Senior can apply - application/essay - deadline October 20, 2023
- Elks Legacy Awards - Seniors who are children or grandchildren of Elks members (see website for all eligibility requirements) - deadline February 5th at 11:50 a.m. PST
TMCC - Foundations Scholarship Application - if you are planning on attending TMCC in the Fall - you are eligible for this scholarship - click on link to view over 20 different in house scholarships from TMCC, review requirements and apply.
TMCC also has a page that has current scholarship opportunities from outside agencies specific to a variety of programs. External Scholarships - Financial Aid - Truckee Meadows Community College (tmcc.edu)
UNR - New incoming freshman students who have completed all the admissions requirements by February 1st are automatically considered for the new freshman scholarship programs. The scholarship options are based on whether or not the applicants submit standardized test scores with their application packet. No separate application is required. Here is the matrix for scholarship amounts
Nevada Scholarships (click on link for eligibility and more information):
Governor Guinn Millennium Scholarship Program
Students have to meet the following criteria to be eligible for this program: they must graduate with a Nevada High School Diploma; earn at least a 3.25 GPA (weighted or unweighted) or a qualifying test score (1070 on SAT or 21 on ACT); complete the following core cirriculum: 4 units of English / 4 units in Math (including Algebra II or higher), 3 units in Science, 3 units in Social Science or History; be a Nevada resident for at least two years of their high school career - ALL requirements must be met by the date of high school graudation.
There is no application process for traditional students that graduate from a Nevada public, private or charter high school. Students qualify by meeting the eligibility requirements listed above. High schools and school districts submit student information for those who have qualified upon graduation. For more information about scholarship disbursements and maintaining eligibility, please go to the following: https://www.nevadatreasurer.gov/ggms/ggms_home/
Quick Tips for the Millennium:
- This scholarship ONLY works at institutions within the State of Nevada.
- There is no application process.
- RHS will generate the eligibility list AFTER GRADUATION. Graduation is part of the requirement to obtain the scholarship, so the list is not generated until after graduation day.
- You will receive a letter in the mail at the end of July / early August.
- In order to receive the money, you must ACKNOWLEDGE THE AWARD first. All the directions on how to acknowledge are in the packet you receive.
- Funds go directly to your institution. They usually do not appear until a week before the semester starts.
- To maintain benefits, you must continue to meet the requirements of eligibility. (see website for requirements)
- Try to submit applications at least one week before the due date. Online servers can get overloaded and stop working properly when everyone submits them on the last day. In addition, remember to account for the delivery time if mailing an application.
- DEADLINES!!!!! The majority of free money is first-come, first served. September through January is a great time to seek funds and determine what is due when.
- NEVER NEVER pay to submit a scholarship application.
- Always spell check and proof-read applications.
- Make sure you have submitted everything requested and answered all the questions.
- Don't submit anything that isn't asked for, and stay under the required word count.
- Photocopy or save everything before you submit it, in case your application gets lost and needs to be re-submitted.
- Professionalize your online presence, remove potentially embarrassing content from social media. Use an appropriate email address