Welcome to Math!
The learning of mathematics is a challenge. Meeting the challenge requires concentration, perseverance, and active participation inside as well as outside the classroom. It is also important to have a positive and respectful attitude towards oneself, classmates and the teacher.
Our curriculum concentrates on a clear set of math skills and concepts. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and/or a career.
Expectations of Student
- Assist in providing a safe, calm, and productive environment.
- Follow school and classroom rules and procedures.
- Be on Time/Prompt – in your seat, ready to work when the bell rings; Be Prepared – have all required materials and work completed; Be respectful/Polite of others & their personal space; Participate and be Productive – get involved in the learning process.
- Complete ALL classwork and homework on time.
- Classwork/homework Policy: Students are required to complete all assigned classwork or homework for a completion grade. All assignments given prepare students for quizzes and tests and directly impacts their grades.
- Be responsible for your own learning: ask questions.
- Check Infinite Campus (IC) on a regular basis to view your grades and progress.
Expectations of PARENT(S)/Guardian(s)
- Allow your child to take responsibility for doing his/her OWN work (assisting as needed) to better prepare him/her for quizzes and tests.
- Check Infinite Campus on a regular basis for your child’s progress. It is recommended that you check your child’s “Missing Assignments Report” and grades on a weekly basis.
- Work with your child to communicate unresolved concerns and issues with his/her math teacher.
Expectations of teacher
- All students will learn in a safe, calm, and productive environment.
- Students will be treated with respect.
- All appropriate questions will be answered to the best of our ability.
- Tests will be graded and returned in a timely manner.
- Grades will be reported and updated weekly on Infinite Campus.
Math 6, 7, and 8 Algebra and 7/8
Tests/Module Assessments 45% Tests 50%
Quizzes 30% Quizzes 20%
Classwork/Homework 15% Classwork/Homework 15%
Final Exam 10% Final Exam 15%
Tests/Assessments will be given at the end of each module.
- Test Retake Policy – All students are eligible to correct the questions they got incorrect in order to receive 50% credit back. If student, after test corrections, is still below a 70%, they are eligible for a test retake. A test retake will allow students to gain up to half of the remaining points missing from original test. Test retakes must be done before the next module test.
Quizzes are generally given throughout each module and can range from a “Ready To Go On,” a 3-minute drill skill or other skill format, “try this” problems, or any other form. Quizzes are not necessarily announced.
Classwork/homework is essential to understanding and mastering mathematics. Classwork and/or homework will be assigned online using the student interactive version of the text or out of the student workbook. Online assignments will have a paper option, if needed. Classwork and homework are graded based on completion and effort. It is strongly encouraged to complete classwork and homework when assigned because the next class period is spent going over problems that students don’t understand.
ABSENT WORK POLICY:
Students are allowed one day per each day absent to make up assignments. When your child is absent s/he must see the agenda board and/or team website, talk with a classmate, and/or read the weekly IC message. Teachers will not track down students for missed work. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure all missed work is turned in according to the WCSD absent work policy.
GOMATH TEXTBOOK (MATH 6, 7, 7/8 and 8):
Students will be using the GoMath! workbook and/or the online text in order to complete assignments. If the workbook is misplaced or lost, the cost of replacement is $32.00.
Math 7/8 and ALGEBRA EXPECTATIONS:
Students must maintain a C or higher and complete 80% of assignments on time for full credit. This means having assignments IN CLASS on the date they are due and ALL WORK SHOWN. These expectations will foster and promote student success. If students are unable to maintain these expectations, s/he will be removed and placed into a grade level math class. NO EXCEPTIONS!