• Frequently Asked Questions


    Who qualifies to become a student at RISE?

    Any Washoe County resident 18 or older who does not have a U.S. high school diploma and/or someone looking to improve their English skills.  


    What is the difference between an HSE and a diploma?

    The diploma is worth more than the equivalency.  A diploma is connected to higher earnings nation-wide compared to the HSE but you can take an HSE to waive credits towards a diploma.  


    If I am under 18, what are my options?

    If you are 16 or 17 years old, there is a special process that requires superintendent approval for enrollment into the HSE prep courses. 


    How long will it take me to get my diploma?

    This depends on how many credits you currently have, your skill level, and availability to take classes. Come in an speak to a counselor today to set up an educational plan that works for you!


    What is the schedule?

    Each class meets for two and a half hours twice a week for a total of five hours per week.  Courses last 8 weeks and each 8 week course equals 0.5 credits.  


    Can I take classes towards a diploma and study for the HSE concurrently?

    Yes, you can take any sequence or number of courses that you would like. 


    How much does the program cost?

    There is a $30.00 RISE Annual Program fee per school year.


    How do I enroll?

    Complete the online registration form or come to the Cordone building.  Then come in and meet with a counselor to enroll in a class.  


    Is there an online option for taking courses?

    All courses toward a diploma and HSE preparation are offered through online courses if face-to-face classes are not an option. 


    If I don't have a vehicle, how can I get to class?

    The program has the ability to help with bus passes if there is a financial need.  Please talk to a staff member about this possibility. We truly want to help you succeed. 

    How will I be placed in classes? 

    Based on your availability and number of previous credits, you will be placed into courses that you need to graduate and that work with your schedule.  


    How can I get a copy of my High School Equivalency (GED//HiSET/HSE)?

    You can get a copy of your High School Equivalency through Diploma Sender. Please click here for the website. You will need to create an account with Diploma Sender, seperate from your HiSET account. Although this is confusing schools cannot keep or provide results for the equivalency tests.  Only the state and Diploma Sender keep those results.  The GED/HiSET/TASC results will also NOT show up on an official school transcript since it is not a high school diploma but a high school equivalency.