High School Equivalency (HSE)
In Person/Virtual Classes
RISE offers face to face/virtual classes scheduled twice a week to prepare in literacy (Social Studies, Science, Reading, Writing) and math.
Classes are 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM or 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
EdReady: Online Program Details
RISE’s online HSE (GED) preparation is called EdReady. EdReady through the NROC Project is a program designed to help students prepare for the High School Equivalency exam (HiSET) as well as for further education and careers.
When students log in, they will see two goals: HSE Math and HSE Literacy. Each goal begins with a diagnostic test which will determine which content needs to be studied. For math, there is a choice of Beginning-Intermediate Math or Advanced Math; Literacy includes the skills needed to pass the Reading, Writing, Science, and Social Studies portions of the test. Based on the diagnostic, EdReady will recommend lessons to study - this is called the study path, which is accessed by clicking on “view study path” below the results from the diagnostic.
We require five (5) hours of work per week on EdReady. If a student is inactive in the program for more than seven (7) days, the student’s account will be inactivated, and the student will need to contact the Online HSE coordinator to be able to continue.
If this program is something you are interested in, please complete the required steps by clicking HERE.
You can contact the EdReady instructor Michelle Berry at firstname.lastname@example.org (email) or 775-567-8876 (text or call, but leave a message if there is no answer, missed calls with no message will not be returned).
Placement Testing for Minors & HiSET Prep
We use a placement TABE test to help give the best recommendation for 16-17 year old students interested in attending RISE. It is also used as an option for those who would like to know where they place before signing up for classes or taking the HiSET exam.
Before signing up for the test, please make sure you speak to your zoned school counselor.
If you'd like to sign up for the HiSET test please review the following steps.
1. ENROLL TO BECOME A RISE STUDENT
- You need to make sure you are a RISE student first. If you are not sure if you are enrolled, please speak to a counselor or front office staff. If you still need to enroll, go to our website - washoeschools.net/rise & complete the online registration. https://www.washoeschools.net/Page/14388
2. CREATE A HiSET ACCOUNT
- Visit hiset.ets.org
- Click on “For Test Takers”
- Click on “Sign in/Sign Up”
- You will be prompted to enter existing account information or create a new one. IF YOU HAVE EVER TESTED OR CREATED A HISET ACCOUNT, PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT. Take the steps to recover your login info by clicking on “forgot username or password.” For further help recovering login info, please call HiSET at 1-855-694-4738.
- If you’ve never tested, click on “create an account.”
- **EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!** Sign up using the name you have on your government issued ID. If you have 2 last names, please put both.
- Towards the end of the registration, you will create a username & password. WRITE THESE DOWN ALONG WITH THE EMAIL YOU USED TO CREATE THIS ACCOUNT. You will be able to check your scores this way.
- Once you submit your information, you will be asked to “sign in to continue.” You’ll enter the username & password you created.
- Once you log back into your account, the last thing you will need to do on the HiSET website is to write down your ETS/Examinee #. This is located in the top right corner next to your name. It is a combination of letters and numbers. This is needed in order for you to schedule your test.
3. SCHEDULE YOUR TEST ON THE RISE WEBSITE
4. PAY THE HiSET FEE
- The fee is $78.75.
- Call RISE Academy at 775-337-9939 to pay over the phone.
- **YOU WILL NOT BE PUT ON THE TESTING SCHEDULE UNTIL THE FEE IS PAID**
- If you can only pay cash, please call us to get our office hours.
5. DAY OF TESTING
- Bring your VALID government issued ID. If you don't bring it, you will NOT be able to test.
- You are only allowed to bring your ID, your car keys & a water bottle. ALL THE OTHER BELONGINGS MUST BE LEFT AT HOME OR IN THE CAR. NO CELL PHONES!
- Masks are mandatory.
- Please arrive 15 prior to testing.
- If you are feeling ill, please reschedule your test. If you are exhibiting symptoms, you may be asked to leave & reschedule your test.