Middle and High School
The District’s Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) prevents unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online, prevents unauthorized disclosure of or access to sensitive information, and complies with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (“CIPA”). The District will use technology protection measures to block or filter, to a practical extent, access to any material which the District, in its sole discretion, believes to be unlawful, obscene, pornographic, and/or harmful to minors over the network. The District reserves the right to monitor users' online activities and to access, review, copy, and store or delete any electronic communication or files and disclose them to others as it deems necessary. Educators may use the Internet during class directed group demonstrations with or without parental consent. Users should have no expectation of privacy regarding their use of District property, network and/or Internet access or files, including email. Terms and Conditions of Use
- The use of the computer is a privilege, not a right, and inappropriate use may result in cancellation of those privileges. Cancellation may result for the following reasons:
• Inappropriate sites will initially be identified by Information Technology.
• Access to technology may be revoked for inappropriate use.
• Criminal actions may be pursued for illegal use of technology.
- Technology (including the use of the Internet) can be an exciting adventure for students. However, they must be responsible to:
• Report to an appropriate adult (parent, teacher, or administrator) any inappropriate use of the Internet or any destruction of District property;
• Take care of their accounts. Do not let anyone else know your password; and
• Any monetary costs incurred from misuse of equipment.
3. Network Etiquette
- Students are expected to abide by the generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language;
• Do not use the Internet, e-mail, or District’s network to engage in any illegal or inappropriate uses (such as to bully another student, sexually harass another student, make any racial remarks, violating copyright laws, etc.); • Do not attempt to bypass blocked Internet sites. If you feel a site has been blocked that you should be allowed to view, contact your teacher; • Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users (e.g., downloading video or music without the express consent of the teacher and printing multiple copies of one document, etc.); • Do not tamper with the District’s network; • Do not connect any devices into the computer without the consent of your teacher and then only under the direct supervision of your teacher. (This includes CD Roms, flash drives, iPods, PDAs, etc.); • Do not modify or tamper with the school’s computer hardware or software; • Do not knowingly introduce malicious code (viruses, Spyware, Trojan Horses, etc.); • Do not download, install, or run any programs unless specifically instructed by a teacher and then only under that teacher’s supervision; • Do not reveal your personal address, phone numbers, social security number or school site; • Never log on under another person’s name; and • Never let anyone know your password.
4. Warranty - Washoe County School District makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it provided. Washoe County School District will not be responsible for any damages you suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, misdeliveries, or service interruptions caused by its own negligence or by your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at your own risk. Washoe County School District specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services. The signatures at the end of this document are legally binding and indicate that the signing party has read the terms and conditions carefully and understands their significance and will abide by the Washoe County School District’s Acceptable Use Policy.
(from Washoe County School District's Parent - Student Handbook, 2014-2015,
http://www.washoeschools.net/cms/lib08/NV01912265/Centricity/Domain/180/Register/Eng_HANDBOOK_14-15.pdf, pp. 18-19)