The Health Science Academy at Hug High School
The Health Science Academy (HSA) is dedicated to opening doors to students, encouraging students to pursue bachelor and graduate degrees while focusing on each student’s personal career goals
Meeting the needs of the future
According to the United States Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics 2008-2018 projections, employment among healthcare practitioners and technical occupations is expected to increase by 21 percent. Healthcare will generate 3.2 million new wage and salary jobs between 2008-18, more than any other industry. The Health Science Academy will strive to meet these demands by fostering a challenging learning environment allowing students to explore health careers, post-secondary education, volunteer work experiences and internships while completing rigorous courses increasing college and career readiness. Studies indicate that students who participate in Career and Technical Education courses have an increased high school graduation rate.
Student Engagement to Graduation
WCSD’s strategic plan, Envision WCSD 2015 – Investing in Our Future, makes a commitment to ensure all students graduate from high school and graduate ready for future careers and further education opportunities through project-based curriculum.
The uniqueness of the Health Science Academy is its partnership with the University of Nevada Medical School (UNSOM). This partnership, established in 1995, is dedicated to meeting the diverse needs of both students and the communities of Nevada. The relationship offers a more personalized approach to assist students’ exploration of the various health occupation and related educational opportunities.
An integral part of the Health Science Academy is HOSA – Future Health Professionals. HOSA is a national student organization whose mission is to promote career opportunities in health care and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people.
What does an HSA student look like?
We are looking for students who exemplify the following:
- Interest in health science
- Motivation to learn
- Willingness to be challenged
- Desire to put forth best effort in all areas
- Attend all Academy related events scheduled outside of school
The Health Science Academy Vision
Our goals for the Health Science Academy include:
- Building foundational knowledge necessary for success in the Health Sciences
- Exposure to different careers and opportunities
- Providing students with an academy program that focuses on an individualized plan while encouraging students towards a four year + college/university path
- Building students’ academic skills
- Fostering a professional atmosphere
- Volunteer work that reinforces compassion and a sense of giving back
- Internships/work experiences beginning in the 11th grade
- Building a bridge between students and UNSOM
- Providing a challenging, rigorous and relevant curriculum that will assist students in attaining their career goals
- Nurturing future health care professionals dedicated to the delivery of quality care for all.
HSA Study Plan