We believe that making the commitment to show up is the most important contribution to student success at Sun Valley. Students who arrive to school on time and ready to learn every day are more likely to be on grade level in reading and math, attain better grades, learn and retain content knowledge and stay on track to graduate.
- assist your student in preparing for school in the morning and making a plan to arrive on time.
- schedule appointments and other activities around school time.
- check Infinite Campus to make sure attendance is accurate and to make sure make-up work is completed and returned to the school.
- work with your family to get yourself ready for school and arrive on time every day.
- request make-up work from your teacher when you return from an absence.
- complete the work and return it to your teacher.
- accurately mark attendance.
- keep open lines of communication if a student is falling behind due to absences and tardies.
- provide make-up work within two days to the student upon request.
Reporting an absence
- Call the school at (775) 674-4420 by 9:45 a.m. to report your child's absence. You can now also report an absence via Infinite Campus. For instructions on reporting an absence via Infinite Campus, please see the following:
- When your child returns to school, if you have not contacted the office, please send a signed note stating the date and the reason for his/her absence.
Leaving school early
- Please check into the front office and bring your Photo ID to pick up your child from school early, or if your child is arriving late to school. Students will not re released from class until a parent has checked them out from the front office.
- The parent or legal guardian must complete a signed approved release form (available in our office) to grant permission for someone other than the parent or guadian to pick up their child. This includes step-parents. These forms are available in the front office and are valid for one year.
- All students returning to any school in Washoe County, including Sun Valley Elementary School, must have an updated, completed registration for every school year. Registration information must be completed online through your Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
The entire attendance policy, WCSD Board Policy 5400, is available on the Student Accounting Department website at https://www.wcsdpolicy.net/pdf_files/board_policy/5400_Policy-Student_Attendance-v4.pdf