Policies and procedures
The following information covers day-to-day operations here at Sun Valley Elementary School, including arrival and departure procedures, transportation, and meals and snacks. For more information about parking lot procedures, please see the Parking Lot Procedures tab from the menu.
*If you would like to review the complete Parent Handbook, please see the document attached at the bottom of this page.
Arrival 9:15 a.m.
- Supervision of the playground begins at 9:15 a.m. Students may not enter the playground until school staff are on the playground. Students are also not permitted to be in the hallways or buildings before the morning bell (9:25 a.m.) rings. Please make arrangements with our before- and after-school provider if you need to drop off your child prior to 9:15 a.m. or cannot pick up your child at dismissal.
- 9:25 a.m. - First bell rings to line up.
- 9:30 a.m. - Tardy bell rings - instruction begins.
- Tardy students (not in the classroom when the 9:30 a.m. bell rings) are to report to the office as soon as they arrive at school. This is VERY important, so that parents do not receive a call in the morning reporting a student absent.
Dismissal 3:30 p.m.
- It is imperative that all students are picked up each day at the 3:30 p.m. bell and are safely accounted for by 3:40 p.m. Any child not picked up will be expected to wait for an adult in the school office. This should only happen on rare, emergency occasions.
- In the event of an emergency that will result in you being late (after 3:40 p.m.), please contact the school and we will keep your child in the main office safely.
- A morning and after school program sponsored by an outside agency is available on campus.
If you have any questions or concerns about transportation, please contact the Transportation Department at (775) 353-5900.
Scooters/bicycles/roller blades/wheelie shoes
Any student riding a scooter or bicycle to school must supply a lock. The school is not responsible for any loss, damage, or theft. Scooters, bikes, skateboards, roller blades are NOT to be ridden on school grounds. Once students are on school grounds, they will walk their bike, scooter, etc. to the bike rack. Students must remove and leave at home the wheel from any wheelie shoes if they are worn to school.
Meals and snacks
- All students will be offered breakfast each morning in the classroom between 9:30 and 9:45 a.m. This is a free meal that we encourage all students to partake in.
- Students may bring a sack lunch or a "cold" lunch or may choose a free lunch served in the cafeteria.
- Menus are sent home with the students each month.
- If you will be providing a lunch for your child, please refrain from packing any glass bottles, sodas, or energy drinks.
- Please communicate with your child's teacher to arrange for a short snack/treat if you wish to celebrate something special for your child. Our assigned day for snacks/treats is the last Friday of the month.
If you need a copy of the monthly school district menu for elementary schools, please click the following link: https://www.washoeschools.net/Page/8153