These are the music objectives for 5th grade students:
- Sing and sign diatonic (do re mi fa so la ti do') melodies independently.
- Sing in an ensemble with a conductor.
- Sing songs with multiple parts such as descants, partner songs, and three-part rounds.
- Sing complex patriotic, folk, and multi-cultural songs.
- Play multiple-line rhythms, melodies, and chords on classroom instruments.
- Play violin as an introduction to orchestra and string instruments.
- Improvise melodic and rhythmic patterns and movement in a musical phrase.
- Compose (write) and perform songs and instrumental pieces.
- Read single eighth notes, quarter notes, paired eighth notes, triplets, four sixteenth notes, syncopated patterns, half notes, dotted half notes, whole notes, quarter rests, half rests, and whole rests using names and number counting in 2/4, 3/4, and 4/4 time signatures..
- Read diatonic patterns on the staff using solfege and letters.
- Use complex music symbols for dynamics (volume) and tempo (speed).
- Sight read rhythms and melodies.
- Notate (hear and record) rhythms and melodies on the staff.
- Compare and contrast elements of music, including tonality.
- Identify orchestral instruments.
- Explain musical preferences using complex musical vocabulary.
- Describe programmatic music.
- Perform music related to American history.
- Identify styles of music from global cultures.
- Describe the role of a musician in a variety of settings and cultures, including possible musical careers
Performances willbe held in June.