Hello and Welcome to Huffaker’s Counselor Corner!
My name is Katie LaRiviere and I am the school counselor at Huffaker Elementary School. I am so excited and honored to be part of this wonderful school. I am committed to encouraging and empowering students to become their best selves. My primary task is making sure ALL students become better learners by providing support for their academic, social-emotional, and career development needs.
As a school counselor, I meet with students individually as well as in small groups. I will also provide classroom guidance and meet with parents and staff to continuously improve student services. I pride myself on approaching all these elements with respect, compassion, creativity, and humor. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me should you want to discuss the specific needs of your child.
I also have the privilege of providing guidance to all students and confidentiality is a top priority; however, I am mandated to report if a student plans on hurting him/herself, is hurting someone else, or if someone is hurting them. Please also note, school counselors do not provide therapy. I am licensed to provide guidance that is therapeutic in nature, but do not diagnose nor provide clinical counseling.
Lastly, I am also knowledgeable about community resources in our area for those experiencing homelessness and food insecurity. Please contact me should you need anything to help support your child and family.
I am beyond grateful to be a part of this amazing school. By valuing your child’s mental health and guiding them toward academic excellence, I know, together, we can nurture them toward their greatest potential. I look forward to a great year and I am always available should you need anything.
Katie LaRiviere, M.A., NCSC, NCC
Proud School Counselor
775-689-2510 x 52481
Huffaker’s Counseling Mission Statement:
The mission of Huffaker’s school counseling program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, career, and personal/social development of ALL students. The school counselor is a professional school advocate who provides support for students, parents, and teachers in order to maximize student potential and academic achievement. The counselor works in partnership with other educators, parents and guardians, and the community to ensure all students at Huffaker have access to and are prepared with the knowledge and skills needed to enjoy meaningful relationships ,work hard, be responsible and do well in school.
Goals for Huffaker’s Counseling Program:
Students will be able to…
understand the school environment.
recognize, consider, and understand self and other’s feelings.
understand and take responsibility for their attitudes and behaviors.
practice decision making and problems solving skills.
develop relationship building and communication skills.
develop school success skills.
develop career awareness and educational planning.
develop community pride and involvement.
- Family Resource Center - 775- 204-1408 Intervention / Family Resource Centers (washoeschools.net)
- Children’s Cabinet – 775-853-8090 The Children's Cabinet | Nevada Non-Profit Organization (childrenscabinet.org)
- Catholic Charities – 775-322-7073 Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada and The Saint Vincent's Programs (ccsnn.org)
- JTNN Active Parenting - 775- 324-7557 - https://jtnn.org/active-parenting
- Safe Talk for Teens (Ages 8-19) – 775-823-2700 Home - Safe Talk For Teens
- Northern NV Food Bank Food Bank of Northern Nevada – Healthy Food. Every Person. Every Day. (fbnn.org)
- Resources for discussing violence with children - Counseling / Helping Youth and Students Cope with Scary News and Tragedy (washoeschools.net)
- Kids Health Nemours KidsHealth - the Web's most visited site about children's health
- Children's Mobile Crisis Response Team - 775-688-1670 (knowcrisis.com)
- Community Health Alliance - 775-329-6300 https://www.chanevada.org/ health care for families that do not have funds