Welcome to Kate Smith Library, we are here to help students access and evaluate the information they need as well as create an environment which enhances the development of life-long readers.
On this site students can….
- look up books on the Destiny catalog and follow links to other resources.
Just by clicking on the icons below...
New Reading Resource
The state recently shared a great resource for ALL families in Nevada. It's called myOn and is a sub-company of Renaissance (a great educational resource). This is a free online reading sight with thousands of books online for students. Some of the unique features of myOn are:
- text can be heard as a read aloud
- a quick pre-assessment will place students into a level targeted level for them.
- sort by topic to focus on student's interests (ex: ocean, dinosaurs, camping etc.)
- annotation features for close reads
- news and topic articles
- access to thousands of popular books (fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, etc.)
- text can be in English or Spanish
Students access myOn via Clever Clever Link Here
This is a good resource to keep up reading skills!
Kate Smith School Library
Reading is one of the most important skills your child will learn in school. Like all skills, improvement comes with practice, and the Kate Smith School Library provides a wide variety of books for students to borrow for reading practice, information, and enjoyment. Your student’s class will visit the school library weekly to select books. You can help your student by reading to or with him/her and asking questions about the story. Encourage your child to spend time reading at home every day.
* Students are responsible to handle library books with care, since they are for everyone to share. Please keep books away from pets, food, and all liquids.
* Any book damage should be reported to the library as soon as possible so we can attempt repairs.
* Library books may be kept for one week (1st – 5th grade), then must be returned. A book may be renewed (checked out again) if the student is not finished reading it. An overdue (late) book means a student cannot borrow another book (until the overdue book is renewed or returned).
* If a book is lost or damaged beyond repair, payment toward a replacement will be requested from the parents.
* If your family plans to move from Kate Smith Elementary, please return all books before moving.
We hope your student will read and enjoy many books and grow in reading skills while attending our school.
Mrs. Grant, Librarian