Virginia Palmer Elementary School
Site-Based Student Uniform Policy
A. The following student uniform policy shall be in effect for school years 2019-20 through 2022-23 unless changes are directed by the Superintendent in accordance with Board Policy.
B. All provisions of the Washoe County School District’s student dress code, as documented in the Parent/Student Handbook and/or any posted rules of this school, shall remain in effect.
2. Description of the Uniform
A. The approved uniform shirt is a gray or purple polo shirt.
i. The uniform shirt may be plain or have the approved school logo on it. Non-approved school logos are not permitted on the uniform top, whether or not the logo is related to the school or a school activity.
1. T-shirts of any color may be worn under the approved uniform top.
ii. Sweatshirts and Sweaters.
1. Sweatshirts/sweaters are not part of the student uniform, are considered outerwear, and shall comply with the student dress code. The lapel of the uniform polo shirt must be visible over the collar of the sweatshirt/sweater.
B. Bottoms: Approved bottoms are defined as jeans, slacks, sweat pants, shorts, leggings/jeggings, skirts, and skorts and must be majority black or khaki (light tan or brown). No other colors shall be allowed.
C. Outerwear: Jackets, coats, and sweatshirts are considered outerwear and are permitted over the uniform in accordance with the school’s dress code.
D. Misc: Other items of clothing such as shoes, socks, belts, hats, ties, and accessories shall comply with the dress code.
3. All students enrolled at Virginia Palmer Elementary School shall be in compliance with the provisions of this site-based student uniform policy, as well as the school dress code during the school day. The only exception to this policy shall exist with the permission of the principal during a free day, spirit day, or similar events. Free days shall apply to all students. No content-based exceptions shall be allowed.
4. Sale of Uniforms / Financial Assistance.
A. Short-sleeved polo shirts with the school logo may be purchased at a cost of $7 from the front office (this price is subject to change following the 2019-20 school year).
B. Non-logo’d gray or purple polo shirts, and other clothing options, may be purchased at any retail location.
C. Any family in need of financial assistance with the purchase of the school shirts should contact the office for information or to make arrangements.