Thank you for your interest in the Washoe County School District. In order to be hired on a Certified or Administrative contract, applicants must hold a valid educator license in the State of Nevada. While the Nevada Department of Education (NDE) issues educator licenses, information is provided here as a courtesy to current and future Washoe County School District employees.
Responsibility for obtaining, maintaining, and renewing a license rests solely with the licensed individual.
Useful links to the Nevada Department of Education Educator Licensure website
- For general information on the licensing process, visit the General Licensure Information page of the NDE website.
- Create and complete an online application on the NDE website.
- View the details of any current educator license online.
- Renewing your license: If you are ready to renew your Nevada Teacher License please visit NDE’s Renew/Change a Current License page. Be sure to renew your license before it expires or you may be subjected to additional requirements (new provisions) that have been implemented since your license was issued or last renewed.
- License applications generally process within 4-8 weeks.
Applicants have three years from initial licensure in order to fulfill the following provisions:
- Nevada School Law, Nevada Constitution and United States Constitution – can be fulfilled by coursework or testing. Nevada School Law information.
- A course in Parental Involvement and Family Engagement. Here is a list of accepted courses.
Continuing Education and Professional Learning Credits
- All regionally accredited college and university credits earned since a Nevada license was issued or last renewed will count toward professional learning required for renewal
- Free courses are offered through WCSD’s Professional Learning system, MyPGS
- Knowledge Delivery Systems offers seven 1-credit online courses. The courses cost $175 each, and they are accepted by the NDE
- CEU Toolbox and PBS TeacherLine also offer courses online. Make sure a course is accepted by the Nevada Department Education before you register
- Here are all the online providers approved by the Nevada Department of Education
Questions about Educator Licensure in Nevada?
Office of Educator Licensure | Nevada Department of Education | 755 N. Roop Street Suite 107 | Carson City, NV 89701
775-687-5980 | email@example.com
Questions about how your licensure affects your employment or employability in WCSD?
Please contact our licensing team