Grow-Your-Own Scholarship Program
The Washoe County School District’s Grow-Your-Own Scholarship Program is designed to assist Education Support Professionals (classified employees) in obtaining a teaching credential through an accredited college/university in order to teach in WCSD. Recipients of scholarship funds must be committed to completing the coursework for a teaching license within four years and accepting, if offered, full-time employment as a teacher with the District after the transfer and overage process has been completed. This recruitment effort is consistent with the district’s strategic plan Envision WCSD 2020 in increasing diversity and the number of bilingual and biliterate personnel in the workforce.
· Current WCSD Education Support Professional (classified employee)
· Been employed with WCSD for a minimum of 1 year
· Satisfactory evaluations
· A minimum of 18 college credits completed
· HR Office sends out applications to individuals as requested
The following must be submitted to the HR Office along with the application:
· 3 letters of reference: 1) current supervisor; 2) and two other professional references (e.g. Teacher, Assistant Principal, Principal, or Dean), no personal friends or relatives
· Official transcript(s) from all colleges attended
· Typed responses to two essay questions 500-525 words in length
The application is not complete unless it is accompanied by all the required documents and submitted to the HR Office by the indicated deadline.
The Grow-Your-Own Scholarship Committee meets and reviews the following:
· Completed application
· Essay responses
· Individual interview with the Grow-Your-Own Scholarship Committee
· The number of scholarships awarded is based upon funding
Grow-Your-Own Scholarship Awardee Expectations/District Benefits:
· Expectations: Maintain a 3.00 GPA; complete certification within four years, teach for WCSD for three (3) years after a contact has been offered; register for a minimum of six (6) credits per semester; repay all cost to WCSD if education and/or years of service is not completed; meet with HR representative and/or scholarship committee to monitor progress.
· District Benefits: Helps to cover tuition and books for classes up to $3,600 a year; a stipend of $1,000 is paid to awardee during internship and a leave of absence may be approved along with the ESP’s position held; hire date and seniority remains the same; ESP’s benefits will continue and the district will pay the cost of health insurance.Contact Person:Human Resources TechnicianWashoe County School District
Bullying & Discrimination Prohibited
The District prohibits bullying, cyber-bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination and/or retaliation in any of its educational programs/activities, employment, and employment opportunities. For the District's full Notice of Non-Discrimination statement as well as methods to address questions and concerns please visit our Notice of Non-Discrimination page.For more information, visit the Civil Rights Compliance Department page.