Overview of Business & Community InvolvementWashoe County School District appreciates the many contributions it has received from local business, service-based organizations and faith groups. Without your support, we would not be able to support volunteering and our associated programs. If your organization is looking for ways to serve within the Washoe County School District we have many ongoing and short-term opportunities as well as ways to give financially. Visit our Partners | Sponsors page to see other businesses and organizations that are making a difference! Below are special ways that businesses and organizations can help:
Please Send us Volunteers!
Many businesses have programs for employees to volunteer their time to help the community. Please let your employee know that at WCSD we have a variety of opportunities for helping at schools and in district programs and departments. Contact Lisa-Marie Lightfoot at 775-348-0388 if you’d like to have a presentation to inform your organization on volunteering. See ideas below for more details:
- Provide a one-time volunteer to help with campus beautification, landscaping, gardening, painting, custodial work, and preparation for school events. The Short-term Volunteering page offers other ideas which may be ideal one-time volunteering opportunities for your employees or organization members.
- Provide an ongoing volunteer tutor (1 or 2 times a week for 1 hour for the semester). Volunteers are needed to tutor in math and reading/writing. Free training is provided and volunteers are placed at a school nearest to where they live. The Ongoing Volunteering page provides more information on these tutoring programs.
Ways to ContributeWould you like to make a significant contribution to support Volunteer Services and our many programs to facilitate learning in the Washoe County School District? Choose one or more of the options listed below! You will receive a donation letter for the IRS and we will put your name and logo on our sponsor page. Visit our Donations & Other Contributions page for more details.
- Provide a guest-lecturer or mentor for a Signature Academy. Washoe County School District is expanding its high school education options with new High School Signature Academies. These programs provide stimulating classes that are connected with careers and industries that are essential to the workforce of tomorrow.
- Make a Cash Donation
- Buy a Pallet of Books for $300
- Schedule a Book Drive
- Provide a Space and Timeslot for a WCSD Volunteer Services employee to set up a Donation Booth
- Support a local school by funding a student-worker or college intern
- Allow your company/organization to be listed for upcoming fundraisers.
- Make a donation to our annual Volunteer Recognition Event.
Other Business OpportunitiesCommunity CompactWashoe Ready for Life administers the Community Compact Program that allows committed participants from all sectors of the community to get involved—from business and professional organizations to service clubs, non-profit entities, and even students and parents. Register today with the Community Compact to show that you support K-12 Education.
Partners in EducationPartners in Education is a program of the Education Alliance of Washoe County. The focus of the program is to pair businesses and organizations with a school to support and encourage student achievement goals. The Partners in Education program has been serving the schools in Washoe County since 1988. Businesses, service organizations, and faith-based groups have been providing support to our schools and students in many ways. Your support is needed and welcome. It is an honor to have our community involved. Every school partnership is unique. All that is required is an interest in student success. Partnerships are developed based on the interests and resources of the organization and the needs of the school. The result is a mutually beneficial and rewarding partnership for all! Please feel free to contact us directly at 775-353-5533 or www.ed-alliance.org.