Special Education Advisory Panel
Announcement: Looking for new SEAP (Special Education Advisory Panel) MembersSEAP is looking for new team members. We meet monthly to collaborate with families, members of the community, and staff to provide input, insight and feedback on various special education topics to support our children with special needs and their families. The deadline to submit applications is May 1st at 5:00pm. Please see the links below for additional information.The application is available online at https://bit.ly/2Z0D4UZ or by calling Sandra Askew at 775-789-4633 or emailing email@example.com.
General Overview, April 2019
The Washoe County School District’s (WCSD) Special Education Advisory Panel was created to improve communication and participation of parents, teachers, school administrators, aides/assistants, and the community in the education of students with disabilities in the WCSD. The intent of the advisory panel is to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult special education problems, improve academic achievement, and provide support for teachers, administrators and families.
The Special Education Advisory Panel is not a WCSD Board of Trustees sponsored committee and not a public body for purposes of NRS 241. Rather, it provides input to the Office of Student Services, the office responsible for leading special education efforts in the WCSD. Input from the advisory panel will always be considered and may be accepted by the Office of Student Services.
Tasks of the Special Education Advisory Panel include:
- General advisory, including assisting in advocacy and inclusion within the WCSD and Washoe County.
- Review of WCSD initiatives/proposals and providing feedback.
- Alignment/Coordination of community supports/services for students and families of students with disabilities.
- Identify/Propose solutions to improve services and inclusive practices for students with disabilities.
The new members of the Advisory Panel will be selected in May/June 2019.
- The advisory panel meets monthly (typically on the 3rd Wednesday of each month).
- Meetings currently are taking place from 4:00pm – 5:30pm.
- Location of the meetings currently is the Vocational Opportunities for Inclusive Career Education (VOICE) Building, 1325 Corporate Blvd, Suite-D, Reno, NV 89502.
As part of their commitment, each panel member should take best efforts to:
- Attend all meetings.
- Advocate for all students in the WCSD.
- Be informed about general special education practices, initiatives, and laws.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to committee meetings.
- Agree to a two-year commitment.
WCSD is looking for panel members who have:
- The ability to listen, analyze, work well with people individually and in a group.
- The willingness to prepare for and attend committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on given assignments.
- The dedication to support and advocate for all students, including students with disabilities.
Current Open Panel Membership
- (1 position) Aide/Assistant
- (2 positions) Parent Representative of a student who is found eligible for special education services (any disability)
- (2 positions) Special Education Teacher
- (1 position) Parent Representative of a student who is found eligible under ASD (autism)
- (1 position) At-Large (Community Member)
- (1 position) General Education Teacher*
* This position is appointed by the Washoe Education Association
Advisory Panel Application and Selection Process
Persons interested in serving on the advisory panel must apply, interview, and be selected for participation. This process is for all members of the committee not appointed by the Chief Student Services Officer or WEA Representative.
- Each selected participant will serve a term of two (2) years.
- Six (6) or more participants will be selected every year, allowing a staggered rotation of membership.
- In order to begin the staggered rotation, the terms for this selection process will be as follows:
- Term begins in August/2019 and ends in June/2021.
- There may be some exceptions to terms:
- A parent of a student who is a junior or senior
- Life events that may cause a member to vacate their position
- Change of job
- Persons interested in serving on the advisory panel must submit a completed application by 5:00 p.m. on May 1, 2019.
- The application is available online at https://www.washoeschools.net/Page/4611 or by calling Sandra Askew at 775-789-4633.
- When submitted, the application must be completed or it will not be considered.
- The application must be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Submitted online from link https://bit.ly/2Z0D4UZ
- E-mailed to Sandra Askew (firstname.lastname@example.org),
- Hand delivered to the WCSD Administrative Center, 425 East Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89520, Attention: Sandra Askew
- Mailed to the WCSD Administrative Center, 425 East Ninth Street, Reno, NV 89520, Attention Sandra Askew. It must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2019.
- Applications will be screened by a committee of five (5) people, which includes three Special Education Advisory Panel Members and two (2) WCSD staff. Applicants will be notified by e-mail if they have been selected for an interview.
- Interviews will be held on May 15, 2019 by the Special Education Advisory Panel.
- Applicants who have been screened and selected for an interview will be interviewed by a committee of 2-3 people.
- Applicants will be notified by e-mail if they have been selected for a position on the advisory panel.