2nd Grade students will be working toward the following music objectives:
- Sing and sign sol mi la patterns.
- Speak simple ostinati and canons (repeated patterns and overlapping parts).
- Play a repeated patterns on classroom instruments.
- Improvise short rhythms and movements.
- Compose (write) short melodic patterns.
- Read quarter notes, paired eighth notes, half notes, and quarter rests using simple syllables (ta, titi, ta-a, rest).
- Read sol, mi, and la on the staff.
- Begin identifying simple musical notation such as bar lines, double bar lines, repeat signs, piano and forte dynamics, and crescendo and diminuendo.
- Draw melodies on a graph.
- Notate (hear and record) simple rhythms.
- Develop criteria for a personal preference in music.
- Read the text of a song in rhythm.
- Use music to begin building a world view of culture.
Song of the Week: We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands