As was decided by the WCSD Board of Trustees, high schools will reopen on a hybrid schedule. Under the hybrid model, Innovations scholars will be in the building 2 days a week and learning from home the remaining days each week. This model allows our school to maintain physical distancing. All scholars and staff will be required to wear face coverings unless they have a medical exception.
Exceptions to the hybrid model will be made for scholars who receive special education services, are children in transition or foster care, participate in the English Learning program, and/or receive gifted and talented services. Scholars from these populations are invited to be in the building up to 5 days a week.
Families have the option to keep their scholar at home full time to complete workshops using Edgenuity, an online learning platform. All scholars will be a part of an Advisory, whether or not they are in the building, and will be expected to participate in Advisory projects and communication.
How to prepare for school
Preparing to be on campus
- Families are expected to complete a self-screening every day before coming to school. The screening should be done for the scholar and all others in the household. Please use this self-screening tool.
- All humans, including scholars, are required to wear face coverings on campus. Please read through WCSD's Face Coverings and Face Shield Guidance. Innovations will have some masks for scholars, but we encourage families to obtain a personal supply of masks for their scholar if possible. Scholars, please practice wearing your face covering before the school year begins to get used to wearing it. Face coverings should be cleaned daily. Please read through WCSD's Face Coverings FAQs.
- Determine which days the scholar needs to be at school. A Group scholars should be at school from 8:00-3:00 on Mondays and Thursdays. B Group scholars should be at school from 8:00-3:00 on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Scholars will enter the main building each morning and after lunch by lining up on the sidewalk (6 ft apart). Scholars will enter after we are able to safely identify each person through the glass door. Scholars entering the Biggest Little Studio building will be lining up in the parking lot (6 ft apart) for their workshops; advisors will retrieve their scholars one workshop at a time.
- We will have curbside service available for family needs on the west side of the building. Visitors must call 775-333-5150 rather than attempt to enter the building.
- Innovations will continue to have an open campus during lunch. Parents and guardians schould discuss lunchtime expectations with their scholar, in terms of where the scholar may go, with whom, and when to wear a face covering.
- Innovations will be implementing many strategies to protect scholars and staff. Scholars should be prepared for the building to look different, for interactions to be different, and for firm rules related to health and safety. Scholars will be physically distanced by 6 ft in the classroom. In the hallways and common areas there will be signage and tape on the ground indicating how and where to move. Scholar movement from one classroom to another will be staggered when needed.
- The water fountains will be closed but we do have a touchless water dispenser, so scholars can bring a bottle labeled with their name.
- At this time we are not able to receive alumni visitors. We will keep you posted as to when this can resume. For now, please keep in touch virtually.
- Many other changes are being made to ensure good health at Innovations. Scholars, please come to school with a positive mindset and a loving heart. School during the pandemic will be different but we will get through it together. We can't wait to see you!
- For more information, please look through the many resources on WCSD's Reopening page.
Preparing to work remotely
- Scholars should identify a place to work productively. We recommend a desk or table with a chair so the scholar may sit up. Laying in bed or on the couch tends to fool the body into relaxing too much to learn well.
- It may be helpful for families to set a daily schedule. If parents/guardians are not going to be home during the day, families may decide to implement check ins, reminders, or routines to ensure that assignments are completed.
- For scholars doing full time distance learning with Edgenuity, you will need a computer. If your family needs a computer, please contact Gina Riggi.
- For scholars doing the hybrid learning model, scholars may use a computer but should be able to complete at-home assignments on a tablet or smart phone. We will provide technology if needed; scholars should let their advisor know and then a contract will be signed before the device is checked out.
- All scholars, from all learning models, will be enrolled in Advisory and will communicate with their advisor daily. Wednesdays will be designated as Advisory project days with independent work to be completed at home.
- We understand there is anxiety surrounding the start of school this year. Innovations staff are committed to making safety, comfort, and learning top priorities at the same time.
- We strongly urge scholars, parents, and guardians to follow our Facebook page for updates!