Special Needs Transportation – Frequently Asked Questions
How does my special needs student qualify for transportation services?A special needs student's right to be eligible for special transportation is based upon two federal statues enacted by Congress. Services are based on an individual need to children from the age of 3 through 21. An individualized Education Program (IEP) established by a multi-disciplinary team qualifies a student for special education services which may include the need for transportation.Children receiving transportation as a related service are evaluated and provided services within the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) structure. Adapted buses should only be used as a separate, special transportation service if the child's needs can be met only with services that are separated from the standard transportation services for all children. Students identified for curb to curb transportation services are provided this service to/from the closest access point to their residence within the scope of the student's abilities. Bus stop locations may be identified as the entrance of the student's private/gated community and/or the closest accessible corner if they reside in a cul-de-sac or on a dead-end street.
How long will the routing process take?It generally takes up to five (5) business days during the school year, if all information in Infinite Campus is correct. At the start of the school year it may take up to ten (10) business days depending on the volume of work orders generated by late enrollment. Making sure the school has all the correct information can streamline this process.
When will my child’s transportation begin?Your student's bus driver will contact you with all times for pick-up and drop-off and confirm Transportation's information is correct.Who do I notify when my student is not riding?Contact the Transportation Communications Center at 337-7769.
- If your student will be out of school for more than three (3) days.
- If you and your student reside in a remote area that would save time and money if they were not riding for a day.
Who do I call if bus is late for pick-up or drop-off?Contact the Transportation Communications Center at 337-7769.
Reasons why the bus would not arrive to pick-up your student?
- Infinite Campus information is incorrect, i.e. phone numbers incorrect, incomplete address, etc.
- Student is a no-call/no-show for the morning pick-up for three (3) consecutive school days. To resume service a call from the parent is needed. Call the Transportation Communication Center at 337-7769, requesting bus service to resume for your student for the next business day.
- Address change has been submitted for your student that is located out of the school zone.
In the event that a special needs student has moved to a new location in Washoe County, the parents of the special needs student must contact the Program Coordinator/Case Manager for address changes. Transportation will not accept address changes.