Congratulations Hug High School seniors on receiving the State Seal of Biliteracy!
The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by the school district in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation. These students are among the first graduating class in the state to earn this recognition.
The mission of the Washoe County School District
Department of English Language Learners is to ensure rigorous, explicit,
high-quality language instruction to pupils who are learners of English, while
maintaining and encouraging strong connections to home language and
It is our vision that English language learners
understand, speak, read, and write English fluently and competently in order to
succeed academically and socially in their classrooms, schools, and community,
as well as acquire the linguistic and cultural knowledge to function as
effective global citizens.
- All EL students are the central core of our
work and support in schools.
- All EL courses of instruction are designed to
enable and empower English language learners to attain proficiency in the
English language and improve their overall academic and linguistic achievement
- All EL instruction is based on culturally
competent practice and effective strategies to close achievement gaps.
- All EL students can learn.
- All EL students are involved and supported in
rigorous explicit language instruction and are provided with opportunities to
gain access to all content.
- All EL students are entitled to an equitable
education that implements quality programs aligned to standards.
- All EL students are held to high expectations
for learning that is designed around differentiated student language needs and
social emotional needs.
- All decisions made about students are based on
language data, in addition to content data. Culture, families, and individual
linguistic needs become part of the decision making process.
- All EL students’ academic success is a shared
responsibility by all educators, families, and the community.
- All EL students and families are provided with
consistency in translations and interpretations to bridge for understanding.
- All collaboration as a team is accomplished
through mutual respect across the district.